Going through divorce and other family law disputes are among the most challenging events of many peoples' lives. In many instances, one chapter of life is ending, so it is often hard to see that another is beginning. It is important that people facing difficult family law matters have experienced, knowledgeable and sympathetic legal counsel to guide them through the process.
At the law firm of Riefberg, Smart, Donohue & NeJame, P.C., our attorneys help clients who are divorcing, fighting with an ex-spouse over child support or seeking to change a visitation agreement.
Protecting Our Clients' Children
Children are often the victims in divorce and other domestic disputes. We work to minimize the consequences of these matters on the lives of our clients' children and help our clients make the best interests of their children the foremost priority. We will work with you to advocate a parenting plan that works for you and your children.
Keeping Costs Reasonable
Divorce can be expensive, and having to operate two households on the same amount of money can be daunting. Our Connecticut child custody attorneys are committed to helping clients get through divorce at a reasonable cost so that they have the resources they need to care for their children.
Family Law Issues
Our lawyers handle all types of family matters, including the following:
- Divorce, formerly called dissolution of marriage
- Legal separation, an option where the marriage remains intact but spouses are free to live separate lives
- Child custody, which can include joint legal custody, sole custody and shared custody
- Visitation or parental access, meaning the amount of time the child spends with each parent
- Child support, which is determined by state guidelines and requires complete financial disclosure from both parents to arrive at a fair determination
- Alimony, or spousal support, is calculated using a wide variety of factors. Determining alimony can require lengthy negotiations and a comprehensive evaluation of assets, liabilities, earnings and earning capacities
- Modifications, which are post-judgment changes in custody, visitation, alimony or child support orders necessitated by events such as job loss, remarriage, relocation and illness
For more information, contact
Riefberg, Smart, Donohue & NeJame, P.C. to schedule a free initial consultation with our divorce attorneys.